In today’s fast-paced world, maintaining optimal lung health is crucial, whether you’re an athlete looking to enhance your performance or someone seeking relief from respiratory issues. These two devices, AirPhysio and PowerBreathe, offer unique solutions to help you achieve your respiratory goals.
Millions of Americans grapple with respiratory conditions each year. Asthma affects 8.3% of the population, with 26.5 million individuals affected, including 20.4 million adults and 6.1 million children. Meanwhile, over 8.9 million Americans were diagnosed with chronic bronchitis in 2016, primarily affecting those over 45 years old.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a group of progressive lung diseases, affects a staggering 29+ million Americans, with treatment aimed at symptom relief and improved quality of life.
Join us as we explore the effectiveness, ease of use, and overall value that AirPhysio and PowerBreathe bring to the table. Whether you’re seeking to enhance your lung capacity, improve your fitness, or manage respiratory conditions, this comparison will assist you in finding the ideal respiratory device to meet your unique requirements.
Comparison Table AirPhysio Vs PowerBreathe
Where to Buy
Mucus clearance and respiratory muscle training
Mucus clearance and airway clearance assistance
COPD, Asthma, Bronchiectasis, Cystic Fibrosis
COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Bronchiectasis, Bronchitis
Facilitates mucus clearance and respiratory exercise
Assists in mobilizing pulmonary secretions
Suitable for children (3-10 years) and adults
Suitable for individuals aged 7 and older
Shaker Classic: 9cmH2O
Potential dizziness (may occur if used improperly)
Muscle Fatigue or Soreness
5 L/min up to 30 L/min
What Is AirPhysio?
AirPhysio is a handheld respiratory device designed to assist individuals in improving their lung health and respiratory function.
It offers a drug-free solution for various respiratory conditions, such as COPD, asthma, emphysema, and bronchitis, and even athletes and individuals looking to enhance their lung capacity.
How It Works
AirPhysio operates on a simple yet effective principle called Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP). The way it works is quite simple. When you exhale into the AirPhysio device, it creates positive expiratory pressure in your airways. This pressure helps to keep your airways open during exhalation.
What sets AirPhysio apart is its oscillatory action. As you exhale into the device, a steel ball inside moves up and down rapidly, causing vibrations.
These vibrations have several benefits:
- They help break up and thin out mucus and secretions that may block the airways.
- The oscillations encourage the mucus to move toward the larger airways, where it can be more easily coughed up or cleared.
- The vibrations also stimulate the cilia (tiny hair-like structures) in the airways, promoting better mucociliary clearance – the natural mechanism by which the respiratory system clears mucus and foreign particles.
How to Use
Here’s a quick guide on how to effectively use the AirPhysio device:
- Take a full breath, filling your lungs.
- Hold briefly for 2-3 seconds.
- Place the device in your mouth and exhale moderately for 3-5 seconds.
- Lift the ball slightly off the cone to initiate oscillation.
- Adjust the device upward for maximum chest vibrations, maintaining stiff cheeks.
- If mucus accumulates, gently cough to expel it.
- Perform these steps approximately twice a minute for up to 5 minutes. Take two deep breaths between sessions to prevent lightheadedness.
Using AirPhysio can provide several benefits:
- Improved Lung Function: By aiding in the clearance of mucus and improving airflow, AirPhysio can enhance lung function and efficiency, making breathing easier.
- Reduced Risk of Infection: Keeping the airways clear of mucus can reduce the risk of respiratory infections and complications.
- Enhanced Exercise Performance: Athletes and fitness enthusiasts can use AirPhysio to increase lung capacity and endurance, potentially improving exercise performance.
- Drug-Free Solution: AirPhysio offers a drug-free alternative for managing respiratory conditions, reducing the reliance on medications.
- Portable and Easy to Use: The handheld design of AirPhysio makes it convenient for daily use and easy to carry, allowing users to incorporate it into their daily routines.
- Suitable for Various Conditions: AirPhysio is versatile and can benefit individuals with various respiratory conditions.
What Is the Shaker Deluxe by POWERbreathe
Like AirPhysio, The Shaker Deluxe is a respiratory device designed to improve lung health using a weighted ball mechanism to create vibrations and resistance during breathing.
These actions help thin and dislodge mucus, open airways, and facilitate mucus movement for easier expulsion, making it beneficial for individuals with chronic respiratory conditions.
How It Works
The Shaker Deluxe is a specialized device designed to help improve lung health by addressing issues related to mucus and catarrh build-up in the respiratory system. Its innovative design incorporates a weighted ball that moves with the user’s breath, creating a vibration-like effect. This unique mechanism serves several essential functions.
The vibration, combined with the resistance from the weighted ball, effectively thins or dislodges mucus and catarrh from the airways. This process makes it easier for the respiratory system to clear these obstructions, ultimately improving lung function.
The device’s rise-and-fall action, accompanied by changes in air pressure, encourages the smaller airways to open up. This increased airway opening enhances lung usage and efficiency, promoting better oxygen transport to the organs.
Once the mucus is loosened or thinned, improved airflow helps it move toward the larger airways. Gentle coughing can then expel the mucus from the lungs, relieving individuals with chronic respiratory conditions.
The Shaker Deluxe comes in different models, each offering a range of pressures to suit individual breathing abilities. The Shaker Deluxe Light and Shaker Deluxe Kids require the least amount of pressure, while the standard Shaker Deluxe model requires the most. This adaptability ensures that users can choose the device that best suits their specific needs.
How to Use
Here’s a guide on how to use the Shaker Deluxe from POWERbreathe:
- Using the Shaker while sitting or lying down is best to prevent dizziness. If you do feel dizzy, stop and breathe calmly through your nose. When lying down, ensure your head is slightly elevated.
- Hold the Shaker device horizontally, keeping it level.
- Place the device in your mouth and take a slow, deep breath through your nose, filling your lungs. Hold this breath for 2 to 3 seconds.
- With your lips sealed around the mouthpiece, make a long exhale. This action creates vibrations within the device.
- After exhaling, take a few inhalations and exhalations through your nose before repeating steps 3 and 4.
- Continue with this breathing pattern for about 10 repetitions or until you achieve satisfactory bronchial hygiene.
- If you feel mucus loosening or moving in your airways during the process, gently cough and expectorate into a tissue to clear the secretions.
- To optimize the vibrations in your ribcage, experiment with the incline of the device and the intensity of your exhaled airflow. This may help achieve the most effective results.
The Shaker Deluxe offers several notable advantages:
- Improved Lung Function: By opening the airways and enhancing breathing efficiency, the Shaker Deluxe reduces the risk of infections, fatigue, and breathlessness, making it particularly beneficial for individuals with conditions such as COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Bronchiectasis, and Bronchitis.
- Economical: Compared to prescription asthma inhalers and other respiratory aids that can be costly and need frequent replacement, the Shaker Deluxe is a cost-effective solution. You can use it repeatedly; maintenance is as simple as washing it after each use.
AirPhysio Vs PowerBreathe: Differences
Let’s take a look at what differentiates AirPhysio from PowerBreathe:
Purpose and Mechanism
AirPhysio and POWERbreathe Shaker Deluxe both aim to facilitate mucus clearance and enhance lung function but cater to slightly different needs and utilize distinct mechanisms.
AirPhysio is optimized for a broad spectrum of individuals, from those battling respiratory ailments such as COPD, asthma, and bronchitis to athletes aspiring to boost their lung potential.
Its operation is grounded in the Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP) approach, where it introduces positive pressure during the exhaling phase. This not only aids in mucus removal but also invigorates the body’s innate mucociliary clearance through vibrational oscillation.
On the other hand, the Shaker Deluxe by PowerBreathe is meticulously crafted to assist especially those with conditions like COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Bronchiectasis, and Bronchitis. Its working principle is slightly more tactile: a strategically weighted ball that moves in tandem with the user’s inhalation and exhalation.
This motion induces vibrations and offers resistance, a duo that proves instrumental in thinning and mobilizing mucus, enhancing the passage of air, and prompting a cough reflex to help dispel the mucus.
I couldn’t find any information regarding the minimum pressure requirement for AirPhysio. In contrast, with its various models, the Shaker Deluxe has clear pressure guidelines, ranging from 8 cmH2O to 11 cmH2O, contingent upon the model in question.
A primary feature of AirPhysio is its reliance on the Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP) method, aimed at facilitating mucus clearance and enhancing lung function.
Age Suitability Comparison
AirPhysio is designed for a broad range of users, including children. Specifically, it’s suitable for children aged 4 and up who can follow instructions and possess the necessary lung capacity to operate the standard ball-bearing mechanism. The design caters to this demographic, ensuring it’s user-friendly for younger individuals.
On the other hand, The Shaker Deluxe, while usable by a diverse age group, has more stringent guidelines for younger users. It’s not recommended for children under 7 years old due to potential choking hazards, such as the weighted steel ball when the device is disassembled for cleaning. Additionally, children up to the age of 16 should use The Shaker Deluxe under adult supervision.
Overall, while both devices can be used by children, they each come with their specific age-related precautions. AirPhysio offers ease of use for youngsters, while The Shaker Deluxe emphasizes closer adult oversight for its younger users.
Both AirPhysio and PowerBreathe are respiratory devices designed to assist with breathing and lung function. While these devices are generally safe to use, it’s essential to be aware of potential side effects and considerations when using them:
- No Common Side Effects: AirPhysio is designed to promote mucus clearance and improve lung function through positive expiratory pressure and oscillation. It is not associated with common side effects when used as directed.
- Potential Discomfort: Some users may experience initial discomfort or a learning curve while using AirPhysio, especially if they are not accustomed to respiratory therapy devices. This discomfort typically diminishes with practice.
- Dizziness or Fatigue: In rare cases, users may feel slightly lightheaded or fatigued during or after using AirPhysio. If this occurs, taking a break and breathing normally through the nose is advisable.
- Muscle Fatigue or Soreness: PowerBreathe is a device used to strengthen respiratory muscles. Users may experience muscle fatigue or soreness, especially when starting a new training program or using higher resistance settings. It’s essential to start at a comfortable level and gradually increase resistance.
- Breathing Discomfort: Some individuals may find the resistance during PowerBreathe exercises challenging, leading to temporary breathing discomfort. This is usually part of the training process and should subside with regular use.
- Potential for Overexertion: Using PowerBreathe with excessive resistance or too frequently can lead to overexertion of respiratory muscles. It’s important to follow the recommended training guidelines provided with the device.
The Shaker Deluxe by PowerBreathe, across its various models, stands at a consistent price of $45.63. These models differ primarily in their minimum pressure requirements for effective use, measured in centimeters of water (cmH2O).
AirPhysio, on the other hand, employs a tiered pricing strategy. Purchasing a single device will cost $59.99, a bit steeper than the Shaker Deluxe. However, AirPhysio becomes increasingly budget-friendly when buying in volume.
For instance, their “Buy 2 Get 1 Free” deal averages to roughly $39.99 per device, and the “Buy 3 Get 2 Free” bundle brings it down to around $35.99 each. This offers significant savings for those considering multiple units.
In conclusion, The Shaker Deluxe and AirPhysio are both respiratory devices that employ a ball-bearing mechanism to create oscillations, assisting in mucus clearance and enhancing lung function.
The Shaker Deluxe features a weighted ball system and has models with different pressure requirements, catering to a variety of users. It emphasizes the importance of adhering to safety precautions, especially for younger users, and notes the potential for dizziness during use.
Similarly, AirPhysio, using its Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP) technique, caters to a broad spectrum of users, from adults to athletes. They also offer a tiered pricing model that provides discounts for bulk purchases.