Are you a member of the eyeglass wearers club? We know that you probably have your go-to eyeglass lens cleaner or a method that helps you keep your glasses clean, but how much do you know about them? We have consolidated every bit of information you might need in this article to make better, well-informed lens cleaner decisions.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is an Eyeglass Cleaner?
- 2 How Does an Eyeglass Cleaner Work?
- 3 Types of Eyeglass Cleaners
- 4 What are the Best Eyeglass Cleaners?
- 5 Best Eyeglass Cleaners Comparison Table
- 6 Top 10 Best Eyeglass Cleaners Reviews
- 6.1 Peeps eyeglass cleaner
- 6.2 FogAway Anti-Fog Spray
- 6.3 Optix 55 Lens Cleaner
- 6.4 Eveo Lens Cleaner Spray
- 6.5 Vius Lens Cleaner
- 6.6 Z Clear Lens Cleaner with Paste & Microfiber
- 6.7 Ultra Clarity Lens Cleaning Travel Kit
- 6.8 Crizal Lens Cleane with Microfiber Cloth
- 6.9 Calyptus Eyeglass Lens Cleaner Spray Kit
- 6.10 Oakley Lens Eyeglass Cleaning Kit
- 7 Things to Consider When Buying the Best Eyeglass Cleaner
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Summary
What is an Eyeglass Cleaner?
An eyeglass cleaner is a specially formulated solution that is meant for cleaning your lenses. They contain certain chemicals that are meant to thoroughly clean your lenses, improve their level of clarity, prevent them from accumulating dirt, and lengthen their life.
How Does an Eyeglass Cleaner Work?
Eyeglass cleaners work by breaking down dust, fog, oil, dirt, and other particles that commonly accumulate on lenses. It does this with the use of different chemicals incorporated into their solutions. Once these particles have been broken down, the microfiber cloth comes in to absorb them and wipe the lenses clean. Don't know how to clean glasses with eyeglass cleaner? Learn more here.
Types of Eyeglass Cleaners
Here are some of the common types of eyeglass cleaners and in the market:
#1 Lens Cleaning Sprays
These are eyeglass cleaning solutions that are formulated and packaged in liquid form. They come in bottles with pumps that enable you to spray the solution onto your lenses.
#2 Anti-fog Sprays
They are lens cleaning sprays with specific properties that prevent the build-up of fog on your lenses. They come in handy if you work on a construction site or have to wear a mask with glasses all day. Fog makes it hard to see clearly and may cause an accident if your glasses fog up when you're driving.
#3 Lens Cleaning Balms
They are produced in jellylike form and are packaged in tiny containers. You have to scoop them with your finger and apply them to your eyeglasses before wiping them with a cloth.
#4 Ultrasonic Cleaners
They can be used to clean eyeglasses and other devices that have screens. Ultrasonic cleaners use electricity and water to get the job done. The machine creates thousands of bubbles in the water and transmits ultrasonic waves through them to create the cleaning effect on whatever you want to clean.
#5 Homemade Lens Cleaners
Eyeglass owners use all sorts of ingredients and items commonly found at home to clean their lenses. Plain water and dish-washing liquid are the most common options. However, some people go-ahead to use vinegar and rubbing alcohol, although their safety on your lenses cannot be guaranteed.
#6 Lens Cleaning Wipes
These come as individually packed pre-moistened wipes for cleaning your lenses. They are produced with just enough lens cleaning solution in each wipe to sufficiently clean your glasses.
"Not only do dirty eyeglasses look and feel terrible, but grease and grime can be harmful to your lenses and lens coatings—and perhaps even to your skin (glasses-related acne is real)."Says Nancy Redd from Wirecutter NY TIMES
What are the Best Eyeglass Cleaners?
Numerous reputable and little-known eyeglass cleaner brands provide pleasant and high-quality results to customers worldwide. Some of the most popular brands include Peeps, Koala Lifestyle, Calyptus, Ultra Clarity, Peeps, and Vius.
- Best Overall: Peeps by CarbonKlean Eyegalls Cleaner
Ideal for all glasses, soft pads, scratch-resistant brush. Made in the USA. Not expensive
- Best for Anti Fog Cleaning: FogAway Anti Fog Spray for Glasses
Ideal anti-fog spray for glasses, made in the USA, safe for glasses
- Best Budget: Optix 55 Lens Cleaner Spray Kit
Streak-Free Lenses & Screens, PERFECT FOR TRAVEL & ON-THE-GO, Budget Friendly
- Best for Coated Lenses: Eveo Eyeglass cleaner spray
Safe for all screens, Versatile glasses cleaning kit for endless applications.
- Best for Fingerprint Removal: Vius Premium Lens Cleaner Spray
No phosphate, alcohol, sulfate, and ammonia. Easy to use
- Best for Anti Static: Z Clear Lens Cleaner Reinvented: Paste & Microfiber
Cleaner For Longer, Safe & Trusted, Alcohol & Ammonia Free
- Best For Dainty Lenses: Ultra Clarity Lens Cleaning
Safe and effective, Effective results.
- Best for All Anti Reflective Lenses: Eyeglass Cleaner- Crizal Lens Cleaner
Recommended by the Essilor, 100% Guaranteed not to harm your anti reflective coatings
- Best for Non-Toxic Cleaning: Calyptus Eyeglass Lens Cleaner Spray Kit
100% natural and biodegradable, Easy to Use
- Best for Sensitive Skin: Oakley Lens Rectangular Eyeglass Cleaning Kit
Safe for use, easy to use.
Best Eyeglass Cleaners Comparison Table
Spray + Cloth
Spray + Cloth
Paste + Microfiber
Spray + Cloth
Spray + Cloth
Pump atomizer + cloth
Top 10 Best Eyeglass Cleaners Reviews
Peeps are a fantastic and futuristic way to keep your lenses spotless throughout the day. This eyeglass cleaner cleanses your lenses using an invisible carbon formula that leaves them crystal clear.
Peeps come with soft pads made from carbon microfibre that is efficient in getting rid of grease and fingerprints. These pads do not leave a film or trace on your lenses. They also come with a gentle scratch-resistant brush which cleans out dust particles and any stubborn dirt on your glasses.
Peeps are very easy to use with this simple routine:
- Use the brush to remove any dust particles or stubborn dirt on your glasses.
- Place the lens between the tong head and wipe the cleaning pads across the lens.
- Now you can see everything exactly as it is
- Peeps are very durable. You can use them to clean your glasses more than 500 times before they run out.
- Peeps Eyeglass are conveniently sized to fit in your pocket or purse when you are on the go.
- They are not affected by humidity, heat, or cold.
- The cleaning pads are likely to start peeling off after a short while.
FogAway eyeglass spray is made right here in the USA, and it offers an easy and convenient solution to all your eyeglass cleaning needs.
It is safe to use on all types of lenses and is specially formulated to ensure that your glasses stay clear and free from residue traces, thanks to its silicone-free formula.
It also prevents the accumulation of fog on your glasses despite the weather. Your glasses are guaranteed to remain clear for at least 24 hours after a single application.
This product has been strictly tested to ensure its safety and effectiveness on your lenses. It is also trusted by eye doctors, safety experts, and even the military for countless years.
- It is safe and efficient in cleaning all lenses, including those with anti-reflective and hydrophobic coatings.
- The spay does not leave a haze on your glasses.
- It comes in a large bottle to ensure that it keeps your glasses cleaner for longer.
- It prevents the build-up of fog on your glasses due to heat, cold, or humidity.
- A little goes a long way, so you do not have to clean your glasses every few hours.
- It does not come with a cleaning fabric.
Continue reading below
This astounding lens cleaner comes in a kit comprised of two large bottles, a smaller one, and three medium-sized microfiber cloths for cleaning your glasses.
The Optix55 formula is safe to use on all types of eyeglasses.
The spray and cloth wipe your lenses effectively and do not leave any smudges or streaks behind.
This eyeglass solution has been formulated with no Ammonia or Alcohol, making it efficient for lucid-clear glasses without the putrefying smell.
- The three bottles in the kit are very convenient because you can leave one at home, in the car, and your office: that way, you have clean glasses no matter where you are.
- Optix55 is classified as a value pack, which means that you get more for less.
- The spray does not have an unpleasant smell.
- It does not leave streaks and smudges on your eyeglasses.
- The soft microfiber cloths come in vinyl pouches to keep them clean.
- You can use it to clean your phone too!
- A few isolated customers have reported that the eyeglass cleaner leaves smudges on their glasses.
4) Eveo Lens Cleaner Spray
This phenomenal double-cleaning kit is guaranteed to give you and your eyeglasses a once-in-a-lifetime clear-cut experience. It comes with two eyeglass cleaner sprays and two microfiber wipes to give you value for your money and ensure that you do not worry about eyeglass cleaner for the next couple of months. The spray promises to rid your gasses of fog, static, dirt, smudges, and fingerprints without causing any damage to them.
The soft Eveo microfiber cloths effectively remove stubborn particles from your glasses while taking care not to leave any moisture or residue. They are also washable, so you do not have to replace them from time to time.
- It removes stubborn dirt without causing discoloration or leaving fiber residue on your glasses.
- The spray comes in two large bottles that will serve your eyeglass cleaning needs for a long time.
- Its formula provides a protective layer against dust and dirt after application.
- It reduces static electricity on your glasses.
- The spray successfully removes fingerprints, dust, oil, and persistent stains from your lenses.
- It can be used to clean your phone and laptop screens as well.
- The microfiber cloths are relatively thin, thus more problematic to use.
5) Vius Lens Cleaner
The Vius lens cleaner is a cost-effective solution for your eyeglasses. It is packaged as a set of two large bottles with spray pumps for ease of application.
A bottle of the Vius solution is enough to clean your lenses up to a thousand times. It also comes with a premium microfiber cleaning cloth, which wipes away all abrasive particles on your glasses. This lens cleaner has been expertly engineered with your safety in mind. The solution is gentle on your skin and completely odorless. It is also 100% biodegradable; thus its environmentally friendly.
This lens spray not only cleans your lenses but also protects them from streaks and scratches. Vius lens cleaner does not contain alcohol, ammonia, sulfates, or phosphates. These chemicals are known to compromise eyeglass lenses' quality and have been excluded from the Vius formula.
- It is made with top-notch technology that leaves your lenses clear as new.
- Its formula offers anti-static benefits that repel dirt and dust particles from settling on your lenses.
- It is environmentally friendly.
- The spray is safe for a wide variety of eyeglasses, including those that have an anti-reflective coating.
- It can also be used to clean the screens of all your digital devices.
- The microfiber cloth it comes with is thin and rough on the lenses.
ZClear is an unconventional yet highly effective lens cleaner. This specially articulated product is 100% alcohol and ammonia-free, making it safe for all types of eyeglasses, including prescription, safety, reading, anti-reflective, transition, and polarized glasses.
It is a tough, hydrophobic solution that ably repels moisture from your glasses and prevents fog accumulation. The ZClear formula provides a streak-free application and then proceeds to protect your glasses from air dust, moisture, and oil for up to three days.
The ZClear paste is nothing short of magical. Its unique form provides a more potent and more effective cleaning alternative for your glasses compared to sprays. It is also expertly concocted to fill in any scratches on your lenses so you can enjoy clear glasses with a single application.
It comes with this simple set of instructions to transform your glasses into the perfect eye companion:
- Apply a small amount to the tip of your finger. The solution on your finger should appear almost clear: if it's blue, then you are probably using too much.
- Gently apply it over your lens until it dries. If your glasses are dirty, you might want to rinse them off first to remove dust and dirt and then wipe them dry before applying ZClear.
- Wipe your glasses clean with a microfiber cloth.
- Offers long-lasting and robust protection for your glasses.
- Fills in the tiny scratches on your lenses to make them more transparent.
- Does not contain corrosive chemicals like alcohol, ammonia, and silicone.
- It is safe to use on glass and plastic.
- Comes in a unique, pocket-size design that you can carry with ease.
- You will enjoy up to three hundred applications before it runs out.
- A small number of customers have disputed its ability to prevent fog for long periods.
Continue reading below
7) Ultra Clarity
This lens cleaning spray is ideal for premium coated surfaces like anti-glare and anti-reflective glasses. The solution comes in a sizeable bottle, a towelette tri-stripe, a microfiber cloth, and a travel pouch.
The Ultra Clarity formula has a neutral pH and is free from abrasive chemicals that may damage your lenses.
The disposable towelettes it comes with help to prevent any degree of scratching on your lenses.
The competent Ultra Clarity formula cleans all manner of dirt from your glasses, including dust, makeup, skin oil, hairspray, dirt, and smudges of any kind. It is a reliable product that has been in the market for over 30 years and is trusted by opticians and eyewear professionals worldwide.
- It is just the right size to carry in your purse, bag, or briefcase.
- Its solution is expertly formulated to provide maximum protection to your lenses.
- Entirely does away with both light and stubborn particles and stains on your eyeglasses.
- Comes with thirty disposable towelettes that are perfect for traveling.
- Safe for use on all types of eyewear.
- You can also use it to clean your phone and laptop screens.
- Several customers have claimed that it leaves a white film on glasses after application.
The Crizal lens cleaner promises to clean your eyeglasses without corroding the protective coating on your lenses. ESSILOR has manufactured and endorsed one of the most reputable lens producers in the world.
It efficiently removes oil, grease, dust, and grime and protects your glasses from these particles for longer.
This lens cleaner is especially recommended for anti-reflective glasses due to its ability to clean them while keeping the coating intact, unlike most similar cleaners.
This type of glasses is prone to getting dirt quickly, thus requiring an efficient cleaner to keep them clear.
- It comes with three Crizal lens cleaner bottles and three individually-packed microfiber cloths.
- It provides anti-glare benefits for your lenses.
- The Crizal formula is light, making it perfect for cleaning your glasses without leaving a film or residue.
- The lens cleaner protects your lenses from sustaining scratches when cleaning.
- Several customers have complained that the microfiber cloths are too thin.
The Calyptus lens cleaner is a high-value pack with two medium-sized bottles and two high-tech microfiber cloths. It is safe for use on all glasses, including anti-reflective glasses, sunglasses, and sports eyewear. Calyptus is a plant-based lens cleaner and 100% natural. That means that it is biodegradable,t nontoxic, and safe for you and the environment.
Calyptus cloths are silk-soft and five times denser than regular microfiber cloths. The Calyptus lens cleaner guarantees high-quality lens clarity without streaks, lint, or dust.
- It is 100% natural and environmentally friendly.
- It safely and effectively cleans all types of eyewear, including anti-reflective glasses.
- Its formula is free from ammonia and alcohol.
- You will enjoy up to 375 sprays per bottle.
- Its premium microfibre cloth traps dust and particles under its 'honeycomb matrix' design instead of moving them around your lens and causing tiny scratches.
- A few customers disagree with its ability to clean, claiming that it leaves a film and streaks on their lenses.
10) Oakley Lens Eyeglass Cleaning Kit
This cleaning solution is exceptionally developed to clean your glasses and keep them clean for long periods, assuring that you enjoy the highest level of clarity all day long.
Oakley lens cleaner assures that the coating on your glasses will remain intact because the cleaner is primarily made for such glasses.
The kit comes with a pump atomizer, a streak-free microfiber cloth, and a nylon case to store and carry them.
- It protects the premium coating on anti-reflective glasses.
- The cleaner does not leave a film or residue on your lenses.
- It effectively cleans all manner of dirt from your glasses with high-class efficiency.
- There is a significant before and after transformation after using the solution to clean your glasses.
- It is relatively small compared to other cleaners within the same price range.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Eyeglass Cleaner
Your Type of Eyeglasses
It is essential to check the types of eyeglasses recommended for a particular lens cleaner before buying it. Some lens cleaners are formulated for all types of eyeglasses, while others clean specific kinds. You ought to take extra precautions, especially if you wear anti-reflective or anti-glare glasses.
The Ingredients in the Lens Cleaner
You might want to read through the ingredients so you precisely what you are getting. Chemicals like ammonia, alcohol, and silicone tend to erode the coating on lenses and even sabotage their quality. Go for eye cleaners that have natural and environmentally friendly ingredients.
A manufacturing company may say anything to sell their product, but you are most likely to find a lens cleaner's real quality consumer reviews. Check out the products people like, the ones that work for them, and those they find a little underwhelming. These reviews can help you avoid ordering an item that probably won't work for you.
Some eyeglass cleaners require one or two generous applications to achieve the clarity you desire in your lenses, while others still won't give you satisfactory results after several applications. Find out the efficiency of the lens cleaner you want to buy and only take it home if you are confident that it meets your standards.
"Don't call the world dirty because you forgot to clean your glasses." Aaron Hill BrainyQuote
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely. Eyeglass cleaners are very mild because they are meant to be gentle on your eyeglasses, but this also means that you can use them to clean other devices without worrying about adverse effects. An eyeglass cleaner will be guaranteed to brighten your screen and remove any dirt and stains.
There is also another way to clean your tv, mobile phone, tablet, or pc screens. Learn more here.
If you are using a lens cleaning spray, spray it generously on both sides of your glasses and leave them for a few seconds. Take a clean microfiber cloth and wipe them off gently. You may need to repeat the process depending on how much dirt had accumulated on your glasses.
Eyeglass cleaners should be stored in a cool, dry place and should not be allowed to sit in the sun. It is also essential to check the expiry dates before use to not end up ruining your glass with a spoilt product. It might also help to use the ones with a close expiry date first.
A majority of eyeglass cleaners out there can stay in pristine condition even ten years after their manufacture. You need not worry about buying in bulk if you find a good deal because they will not expire in a short time.
You can find reliable eyeglass cleaners at local pharmacies and convenience stores. They come in different sizes, forms, and designs. You might consider shopping online if you want a wider variety of lens cleaners.
You do not need to break the bank if you cannot afford to buy lens cleaners. Making your eyeglass cleaner at home is very straightforward, and it will save a whole lot of money. Take a small spray bottle, preferably plastic. Pour in a specific portion of vinegar and clean water, mix them, and you are good to go.
Whenever you need to clean your glasses, spritz a fair amount of the solution on your lenses, let it sit for a couple of seconds, and then wipe it away with a microfiber cloth. This solution is bound to clean your lenses and any other products you can buy out there.
Now that you have all the information you need to know about eyeglass cleaners, what stops you from choosing your pick? Feel free to check out some of the best eyeglass cleaners we have highlighted, and get ready to begin the rest of your life.
If you are skeptical about them, don't worry: it is not a cut and dry affair. You can make your solution at home and enjoy the same quality of clarity on a budget.
With the continual development and increase in technology, gadgets, and gizmos, Amar never has a dull day researching new gadgets. Being an enthusiastic gamer, traveler, soccer lover, and avid car driver means that he always looks for the next cool thing to try out.