Many of us have boxes full of meaningful old photographs, videos reels, and VHS tapes. However, only about 17% of Americans still use VCRs. It might seem impossible to view your 8mm family videos in the digital age. What if we told you that there was a service that could digitize home movies for you?
iMemories is a video to DVD transfer service that promises to do just that, and they can also transfer it onto USB and Cloud. The state-of-the-art technology can digitize your footage to make it accessible on modern devices. In this iMemories review, we will cover everything you need to know about this service to get you on your way to reliving family memories.
At a glance
What we like
- They digitize most media types
- Plenty of options for digital copies
- Fast turnaround time
- Reasonably priced
- Regular email updates during the whole process
- They include enhancements and repairs for specific media
- Highly rated among customers
What we don’t like
- iMemories shipping kit might be small for you if you send a large number of media.
What is iMemories?
iMemories is a company that can help you digitize family videos to give you access to them on modern devices.
It converts photos and videos into a digital format that you can readily share with others.
These days, you can record, view, and share your photos and videos as soon as you take them.
However, you will need to lug out an outdated video player to watch your old Super8 films. By sending your photos and videos to iMemories, you can modernize your memories and store them all in one convenient place.
Once they finish the digitization, you can view the footage on a digital file, DVD, cloud, or thumb drive.
Overview of iMemories Services and Prices
Shipping kit (box)
Free repairs (splicing)
Average turnaround time
Expedited turnaround time
Reviews Across Multiple Websites
Trustpilot: 4.6 out of 5
Sitejabber: 4.7 out of 5
Yelp: 3.5 out of 5
WHAT FORMATS THEY CONVERT
Betamax, VHS, VHS-C, 8mm, Hi8, Digital 8, MiniDV, MicroMini, DVDs, MiniDVDs
8mm, 16mm, Super 8
Photos, Negatives, Slides
Video Conversion Price
$14.99 per tape
Film Conversion Price
$14.99 per 50ft.
Photo Conversion Price
$0.49 per photo
Audio Conversion Price
DIGITAL COPY OPTIONS
From $39.99 up to $99.99
$7.99 per month or
How Does iMemories Work?
To get started with iMemories, you send them the items that you wish to digitize. You can mail them in a SafeShip Kit or your box. SafeShip Kits include a crush-proof box, bubble cushions, and waterproof bags to prevent any damage to your home movies. The kit also gives you free shipping to the iMemories facility via FedEx.
With a facility that is over 50,000 square feet and over 200 dedicated and trustworthy employees who digitize thousands of formats daily, your memories are safe with them. The iMemories team will keep you updated while they convert old photos to digital ones.
You can view the real-time status on your Order Status page if you do not want to wait for the email updates. iMemories notifies you when:
- They receive your package
- Your order and payment get approved
- The team starts the digitization
- They finish your order
- Your original items get sent back
- The thumb drive or DVD is shipped
After you ship your package, you will receive a price estimate for your package. If you choose to go through with the service, you submit a payment for the order. Once they complete your order, you can download the files and view your memories. Even if you order a USB, portable hard drive, or disc copy, iMemories still lets you download a digital copy.
Also, iMemories has an app available on Google Play and the App Store that gives you on-the-go access to your digital library. Keep in mind that you will need a subscription to the iMemories Cloud to use the app.
Services Offered by iMemories
iMemories works with a variety of file formats. This service can convert most types of home video to digital. You can send in any of these formats:
- Films: Super8, 8mm, 16mm
- Video Tapes: Betamax, Digital8, 8mm, Hi8, MicroMini, MiniDV, VHS, VHS-C
- Photos: prints, negatives and slides
- Other: DVDs and MiniDVDs
The company can turn 8mm to digital files that you can view on any device. Included in the cost of conversion is a digital download from the iMemories platform.
If you have a disc drive, you can pay extra to get a DVD or Blu-ray copy of your memories. Otherwise, you can buy a USB drive, portable hard drive, or cloud subscription to save memory on your computer or smart device.
Once your order gets approved and you submit a payment, you can expect a digital copy of your memories in 2-3 weeks. The exact time depends primarily on the number of items you need to digitize. After digitization, the company will ship your originals back within a week.
DVDs and USB drives are shipped within 3-5 days of your payment for them. Since iMemories ships using FedEx Ground, you will have to wait:
- 1-5 business days if you are in the contiguous United States
- 3-7 business days if you live in Alaska or Hawaii
If you order DVDs with the digitization package, you will receive them with the originals.
Note: If you’d like to learn more about these kinds of services, you can read the best vhs to digital service comparison guide for 2022.
The Pros and Cons of Using iMemories
It wouldn’t be an iMemories review without covering the benefits of this high-quality VHS to digital conversion service. Some of the advantages of using iMemories include:
- No more sorting through dresser drawers and boxes of photos: with iMemories, all your photos and videos are neatly stored in the same location.
- You can access your files using cloud storage, a DVD, a Blu-ray disc, a portable hard drive, a USB drive, or a digital download, making them easy to share and view anywhere.
- It saves you time trying to find your photos and videos since they are all in one place
- Your photos and videos are preserved online. You won’t have to worry about them fading or getting damaged.
- You can rediscover long-lost memories that you’ve hidden in drawers or your old camcorder for years.
- The iMemories team will enhance the quality of your videos to something closer to modern image quality.
- If you pay for the subscription, you can store your files in the cloud to view on the go. This subscription also gives you access to the iMemories app.
- Instead of hunting for a VCR on eBay, you can view your old memories on your laptop, smart TV, tablet, or smartphone.
- The company works with many forms of outdated technology.
- You get your original footage back.
Nevertheless, iMemories isn’t flawless. Some of the cons to using this service are:
- It charges you per item. Each photo, tape, and 50 feet of film come at a separate cost.
- You can either pay for a box to ship your footage for free or pay for shipping in your box. Either way, you need to pay to send them the materials that you then pay to digitize.
- It might take a month for you to get everything sent back, depending on the number of items you send and where you live.
- Sometimes, the digitized memories look low-quality compared to their original form.
- You cannot digitize everything. Some unsupported files include MicroMV, S-VHS-C, audio cassette tapes. If you have some of these items, you may need to use multiple services.
- The cloud service comes at an extra cost.
- The service is only available in the United States.
Continue reading below
Who Can Benefit from Using iMemories?
iMemories is an excellent solution for anyone, no matter their age, who is looking to store their photographs or videos conveniently and safely.
This service can convert home movies to digital ones so that you can view them on modern devices and store them in one space. Whether you have old DVDs, Polaroid photos, VHS tapes, or rolls of film, iMemories can bring them into the age of today.
No matter what age you are, memories make us who we are: childhood birthdays captured by your mother, your 8th-grade graduation, or pictures of your childhood dog.
There are plenty of memories that we rarely think about until we forget. However, watching old videos or scrolling through photos can help you remember what it was like to live through those times. You don’t have to be sentimental to want something with which you can look back fondly.
All About iMemories Pricing
When getting started with iMemories, you need to understand the pricing. To send them your items, you can either use the SafeShip kit or ship your items in your box.
The SafeShip kit costs $14.99, but it has a $29.99 retail value. If you order this kit, you do not have to pay for shipping if you send it using FedEx. The cost of shipping from your box will depend on where you live, the facility you use, and its weight.
When deciding between the two options, consider how fragile your goods are and weigh the price of shipping versus the kit.
Once iMemories receives your box, they will charge you based on the number of items you send. The typical cost is as follows:
- Video Tapes: $14.99/tape
- Movie Films: $14.99/50 feet of film
- Photos: $0.49/photo, slide, negative
The company often runs promotions, so you can likely pay a little less for each if you use a discount code.
The company is running a Limited Time Offer in which you can save 50% on digital conversion pricing. Click here to find out it the offer is still going on.
You can choose between different options for what you get back. iMemories will send you back your items and let you download your files from the platform for free. Some extras you can opt for include:
- Customized DVD: $9.99/DVD
- Blu-Ray: $14.99
- USB Flash Drive: $19.99/8GB, $29.99/16GB, $39.99/32GB, or $49.99/64GB USB flash drive
- Portable Hard Drive Transport: $99.99/1TB USB
- iMemories Cloud: $5.99/month or $49.99/year
If you pay for cloud storage, you can view your files on the iMemories app for free. The company will inform you which items provide sufficient storage for your files so that you choose an option that fits your needs.
Why is iMemories a Great Choice for You?
As one of the first digitizing companies, you can rest assured that you are in safe hands with iMemories. Since 2005 (when the company was founded), iMemories has not damaged or lost a single piece of media.
When you ship your footage, you get a free quote for how much it costs. You can then decide if you want to go through with the payment. The service will enhance your images and help you relive old memories better than ever before.
After reading this iMemories review, I hope that I have made clear to all of you that preserving your treasured memories in one convenient place is a great investment. iMemories offers affordable digital conversion solutions that will put that smile back on your face as you look at all those long-lost memories that come back to you in clear, quality imagery.
For more detailed information on the digital services that iMemories offers, please check out the company’s website. Time waits for no one. Preserve your precious memories now with loved ones before the years slip away from you.
And lastly, if you would like to read a comparison between two most popular digitization company services you can do so here: iMemories vs Legacybox.
The answer is NO. In case you have an old tape that contains both your personal and TV or movie footage then they will remove the copyrighted material and only leave your personal home movie footage.
You can send as much as you want. They even had orders with 100+ VHS tapes, and 10,000+ photos. So don’t worry about that, send them as much as you’d like.
Before you start to use the app you first need to download it from the Google Play Store if you’re using an Android phone and from the App Store if using the iPhone. After it installs on your phone you can open it and create an account. If you decide to purchase their Cloud subscription you can then upload your images and videos on their cloud storage.
I don’t see the point of this. My advice is, if you’re going to digitize something with them, ask to have your new media transferred to a USB stick. That way you can easily bring it with you and transfer on other devices with ease.
On the BBB (Better Business Bureau) website they have an average rating of 4.69 out of 5 stars. They started the business in 2004 and since then they’ve had only 4 complaints. On TrustPilot they also have a similar rating with 4.6 stars out 5 with one recent review saying they’re thrilled they can watch their old reel to reel tapes from the 1950s with their children. The same positive rating can be seen on Sitejabber with 4.8 starts out 5.
Here is their contact information if you ever decide to contact them in any way:
9160 E. Del Camino Drive, Scottsdale AZ 85258
After considering everything thus far, I’d say this company service is reputable or as some would say, it’s legit.
Yes. They will convert them for you at no additional cost.
No, they do not.
It’s quite simple to do so, and you can do it in 3 easy steps:
1. Log into your iMemories account and click on the photo or video you wish to download
2. Look for a button that says “Download” and click on it
3. Save the file under a name that’s easily recognizable
Bato is the father of three beautiful children. When he's not dealing with product reviews and comparisons, he enjoys hiking through untouched nature. He loves adrenaline sports such as skiing, diving, rafting, and scuba diving. In addition, he likes to grill and discover new exciting food.
2 comments on “iMemories Review 2023: Is This the Best Digital Conversion Company?”
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Is there a monthly charge?
The only monthly charge is the subscription to their app where you can store and view your memories but even that is optional.