- Comparison table
- Sugar-free alternative
- Benefits of gummy vitamins
- What to look for in gummy vitamins
- Key differences
Vitamins and minerals are essential to our health, but sometimes our bodies don’t have enough. This may be due to dietary restrictions, pregnancy, or simply being a picky eater.
This is where gummy vitamins come into play because they work great for people who have trouble swallowing pills and kids who don’t particularly like pills, and that’s because gummy vitamins look and taste similar to candy.
Gummies, Capsules, Softgels, Chewables
Gummies, Chewables, Capsules
Number of flavors
1 or 2 (fruits)
Formulas for adults
Formulas for kids
Organic, Vegetarian and Vegan Formulas
Vegan and vegetarian only with capsules
Organic and vegetarian only with capsules
Contains Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Not in all formulas
In most formulas
Contains artificial sweeteners, colors and flavors
Amount of sugar per serving
2g to 4g
Benefits of Gummy Vitamins
Gummy Vitamins may not be necessary for everyone, but there are certain situations where they can come in handy, such as:
- Problems with swallowing pills – Gummy vitamins are a great way for people who don’t like taking capsules or have difficulty with chews. They’re easy, fun (for kids), tasty, and nutritious.
- People who forget to take their vitamins or fear tablets – Vitamins are a necessary part of our diet, but some people may have difficulty remembering or refuse to take them. Switching from conventional supplements to vitamin gummies which look and taste similar to candy, will fulfill the daily dose of vitamins for those who need them.
- Dietary restrictions – For food allergies or avoiding certain foods, it is essential to take extra steps toward meeting your nutritional needs with supplements.
- Kids that need to take vitamins – We all know that kids, in general, are picky eaters, and they usually only take what they like. Gummy vitamins are worth considering for kids that are vegan or vegetarian, are on a plant-based diet, are missing an entire food group from their diet, have food allergies, etc. Since vitamin gummies have the shape (even characters), colors, and taste of sweets, children accept and take them very easily.
In this comparison guide, we’ll look at two popular vitamin gummies, Olly and Smarty Pants, to see which offers you better nutritional benefits.
Note: It’s important to speak with a healthcare professional before adding any supplements to your diet, especially if you’re taking medication.
What to Look for in Gummy Vitamins Before Deciding to Buy
Vitamins are good for you, but there’s a downside. Most gummy vitamins have just as much sugar as their candy counterparts. So vitamin gummies should have natural and low sugar levels, and if possible, find ones with zero sugar.
Some vitamin supplements have artificial ingredients like preservatives, flavors, and colors, so you should check the ingredients list. Then, choose ones that have natural colors and flavors.
Olly Gummy Vitamins
Olly vitamins is a well-known brand of nutritional supplements because of its delicious gummies and how they organize their vitamins based on their benefit or ingredients. They offer multivitamins formulated for men, women, and kids.
Some of the formulas that Olly offers are:
- Ultra strength softgels
- Women’s Health
- Fast dissolves
- Gut health
Suppose you are looking for gummies and vitamins for kids. In that case, you can pick different types of formulas and shapes, such as multivitamin + probiotic gummies and multivitamin gummy worms, which are both sugar-coated.
Some brands include Omega-3 fatty acids in all their gummies formulas, but with Olly, they are only included in two soft gel formulas.
OLLY products are safe to use with other medications. But it’s recommended to speak to your healthcare provider before starting any supplements.
One of the things that people look at and ask about is how much sugar is in a vitamin. The amount of sugar in Olly vitamin gummies is about 2 to 4 grams in a serving, and for colors and flavors, they use only natural ingredients.
Olly gummies can contain either beef or pork gelatin, and they have a list of products by type of gelatin that you can check if you are interested. For the capsules, there are vegetarian and vegan.
Olly Gummy Vitamins Pros
- Tasty flavors
- They have a wide range of vitamins suited for your specific needs like sleep, mood, etc.
- You can buy supplements by benefit and ingredient.
Olly Gummy Vitamins Cons
- It contains only one or two mixes of fruit flavors
- Small packaging count
- It contains sugar
SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins
Smarty Pants gummy vitamins are a well-known and trusted supplement brand with a wide range of formulas for adults (by gender, age, and stage), kids (by age), and dogs. We liked SmartyPants because you can determine the formula you need by taking their online quiz. Too bad the quiz is only for adults.
All SmartyPants vitamins deliver at least 13 essential nutrients and omega-3 fish oil. In addition, some other products can come with additional goodies, such as prebiotic fiber in their fiber formulas, CoQ10 for heart in Men’s, Women’s formulas, and lutein and zeaxanthin in Teen formulas. Lutein and zeaxanthin are responsible for eye health, immunity, healthy skin, hair, nails, and much more.
SmartyPants gummies contain sugar, but the sugar amount can vary depending on the formula and daily intake. For example, kids’ formula contains 5g of sugar per 4 gummy serving.
Besides essential nutrients and vitamins, they are also packed with fish oil, total Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA, and DHA, which is a big plus. On the other hand, the vegetarian formula comes with organic FlaxSeed oil, Omega 3 and 9, and without EPA and DHA.
SmartyPants, like Olly, also offers prenatal formula, a pregnancy supplement that, besides standard gummies, comes in organic formula and capsules.
SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins Pros
- Kids love it because of the taste
- It offers great nutritional support + total Omega-3 fatty acids
- Offer multifunctional nutritional support
- Formulas contain total Omega-3 fatty acids and EPA and DHA (except vegetarian and organic formulas)
- Organic and vegetarian options are available
- Offer formulas for/by gender, age, stage, kids, and dogs
- You can easily find your formula by doing their quiz
- Free of 8 major allergens
SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins Pros
- It contains sugar
Olly vs. SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins: Key Differences
Both gummy brands contain sugar, and it’s hard to determine which one has a higher amount because of the daily intake and specific formula. Because of this, you need to pick a formula that suits you the best by comparing the sugar amount from both brands.
Both Olly and SmartyPants have NSF certifications. NSF certification is a system that helps consumers identify products with rigorous standards for quality, safety, and label claims.
Olly offers supplements in a wider range suited for your specific needs like sleep, mood, beauty, immunity, etc. SmartyPants, on the other hand, does not, but it contains strong nutritional formulas, which makes it no less worth it than the Olly supplement.
If you’re a vegetarian, then SmartyPants is your choice because they offer more options than Olly. Also, organic and vegetarian formulas are a little more expensive.
SmartyPants offers a mix of three flavors, whereas Olly gummies come with two flavors mixed, and some even with only one. However, both brands offer gummies with a great fruity taste.
In terms of synthetic colors, artificial flavors, and sweeteners, neither of the brands doesn’t contain them, which is great.
As for the number of servings per container, Olly has larger and smaller servings per container and can be taken for less or more than 30 days, depending on the formula, while SmartyPants formulas and package size are made to be taken in 30 days.